Top Social

by Orchid Singson

D.C. Series: Hirshhorn Museum

January 14, 2017
The Hirshhorn Museum ended up being a home base for me during my first day in Washington, D.C. (they have luggage lockers and I couldn't check into my room until later in the afternoon). I have to admit, I don't normally enjoy modern/contemporary art, but the exhibits at this museum were surprisingly playful and fun to look at!

There were two art installations that I really loved: Barbara Kruger's Belief + Doubt and Ragnar Kjartansson's Woman in E. The first photo that you see above is part of the Belief + Doubt exhibit. When I arrived at the museum, I had to take an escalator to the lower level to get to the locker area. As I descended, I could see that every inch of floor and wall downstairs was covered in writing! And the text was especially interesting to read. Seriously, when WAS the last time you laughed?

Woman in E was a nice surprise as well. As I was walking through the museum, I kept hearing somebody play the same guitar chord once every 30 seconds or so. When I finally got to the room that the sound was coming from, I found a woman dressed in gold, completely surrounded by gold (streamers). Here's part of the description: "E-minor is a universal chord of melancholy, one particularly suited to expressions of wistfulness and brooding lovesickness. An E-minor chord rings out in endless repetition from within a dazzling tinseled environment, its performer rotating slowly like an idol upon her pedestal."

Check out my photos from both of these exhibits (and more!) below:









Independence Ave SW
Washington, D.C. 20024
Post Comment