Top Social

by Orchid Singson

Historic Madison

September 28, 2015








On my last full day in Georgia, my friend and I spontaneously decided to take a detour into the historic district of Madison. Since I'm a sucker for historical homes, I insisted on taking a tour of the Rogers House, Rose Cottage, and Heritage Hall (tour info here). Each tour was led by a docent, so we learned all sorts of interesting information about the original owners of each home. For example, a few of the windows at Heritage Hall had names written on the glass (see the last photo above). Apparently, it was a common practice for any engaged woman of the household to etch her own name and her fiancée's name into one of the windows using her engagement ring! It sounds like such a sentimental tradition, but people actually did it to test whether or not the diamond in the ring was real haha!

Anyways, if you missed any of my previous Georgia posts, you can check them out below:

Post Comment